DEMTRAIN Survey launched on 17th January, 2017. The survey has endorsement from Professors Alistair Burns, Old Age Psychiatry and Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist, Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, Martin Vernon, National Clinica Director for Older People and Integrated Care at NHS England, Dementia Action Alliance, and the Royal College of Nursing.
Download (PDF, 443KB)
Our main areas of activity during 2016, our second year:
- We have commenced the literature review of hospital studies and outcome measures for staff knowledge, confidence and satisfaction in caring for and interacting with patients living with dementia
- We have developed a sampling framework for selecting hospitals for staff surveys and case studies through working with the National Audit of Dementia team
- We meet regularly with the “What Works In Dementia Education and Training” team based at Leeds Beckett University to share research design and methodology areas of our respective studies.
- We have established a Study Advisory Group and conducted a Consultation Group with hospital and research practitioners
- Two surveys have been developed with support and guidance from our member involvement groups and other key stakeholders:
- our member involvement group and the Scottish Dementia Working Group: N&D Research Group identified key domains that are paramount to dementia training for hospital staff
- Dementia leads, Clinicians, Dementia Researchers, local Clinical Research Networks were also consulted to identify tools to measure domains important to people living with dementia, as well as identifying hospital outcomes for phase 2.
- We regularly Tweet using the @nbdem Twitter account.
- We have established lead Clinical Research Network support by Greater Manchester CRN http://www.nihr.ac.uk/nihr-in-your-area/greater-manchester/
- WP5 Advisory Group met on 1 July 2016 for its first face-to-face meeting held at the University of Manchester.
We have completed piloting of the structured hospital survey, and launched the hospital survey on 17th January, 2017. The survey has endorsement from Professors Alistair Burns, Old Age Psychiatry and Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist, Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, Martin Vernon, National Clinical Director for Older People and Integrated Care at NHS England, Dementia Action Alliance, and the Royal College of Nursing. ‘Save the Date’ flyer
Faraz Ahmed presented at the Research and Innovation Showcase at the Royal Preston Hospital hosted by Lancashire Teaching Hospitals Trust at the Royal Preston Hospital, Preston on 28 November 2016. Poster/slide download link
Faraz Ahmed attended the Dementia Congress in Brighton on 2-4 November and presented a poster entitled “Developing the evidence base for evaluating dementia training in NHS hospitals (DEMTRAIN) Poster and flyer download link
Faraz Ahmed attended a meeting of the Scottish Dementia Working Group on 4th April, 2016.